Training Tandem Flight
- Discovery tandem flight: $200
Come along and learn to fly with an instructor with our special training tandem flights. Learn the basics about the sport of paragliding all in one amazing flight!
PG Intro Course:
- Introductory day: $300
Cloudbase offers an introduction course which gives you the skills to fly by yourself under radio instruction from an instructor at takeoff and another at landing. Before flying students attend ground school where they practice take-off, steering and landing with a paraglider. Once proficient with ground training students will have two flights from our top launch or a Discovery Tandem Flight if the wind is too strong. All equipment is supplied. Minimum course number: 2
- PG1: $480 after introductory day
The student licence PG1 course is the second step towards your full pilot’s licence and follows the PG Intro course (required). It has a minimum requirement of 6 high flights under instruction from an instructor at the takeoff and another at landing. At the end of the course students are expected to be proficient at paraglider wing inflation (check and correct), take off (or abort), establish easy transition from takeoff to flying, smooth flight turns and safe landings on their feet. There is additional theory which covers basic aerodynamics, suitable flying conditions and essential information about the equipment used. All equipment is supplied. Minimum course number: 2
- PG2: $2020 after PG1
The PG2 course (solo licence) follows the PG1 course (required) and is designed for students who wish to complete their private pilot licence. Obtaining this licence allows pilots to fly for themselves. In order to be issued a PG2 licence students need to demonstrate a wide range of practical paragliding skills and achieve a level of theoretical knowledge assessed through exams towards the end of the course. Below is a brief summary of skills covered in the course.
Launching/Takeoff Skills : wing inflation and take-off/landing techniques
Flying Skills: descent and steering techniques, completion of a minimum of 40 flights in total* (Intro and PG1 flights included) from at least 4 different flying sites. *with normal training progression
Theoretical Skills: aerodynamics, meteorology, equipment and flying skills
Additional Information for the PG2 Course
- The PG2 course is run as a 9-Day Block course. Block courses generally start with two or more students.
- For students who are unable to do a block course it is possible to arrange “pay as you go” training with or without school gear. Contact us for further information.
- The PG2 course assumes normal training progression. It may be that some students need additional flights in order to achieve the standards required. If this is the case with some students they will continue with their training on a ‘pay as you go’ rate.
- Students are encouraged to have their own equipment for their course. If students have their own approved equipment prior to commencement then a discount (160$) will apply. Cloudbase Paragliding has a number of equipment packages at very reasonable prices, Contact us for more information.
- Both PG1 and PG2 licences are issued by the national NZHGPA under the authorization of the Civil Aviation Authority. As such students must have a student/full membership during training and full membership upon issue of the PG2 licence. Visit nzhgpa.org.nz for more information.
- Special Note
- **Cloudbase supplies free 6-month aftercare advice for our PG2 graduates who feel they need to brush up on their flying skills.**